Friday, August 9, 2013

Mourning Summer Already


Some time ago there was Staples commercial on television where the song 'The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" was playing.  A parent was dancing up and down the aisles flinging back-to-school supplies in the cart, while two frown-faced children walked begrudgingly beside the cart, clearly NOT looking forward to the start of school.  Many parents can relate to the enthusiasm that parent had regarding the children going back to school.  I don’t know what it is about this year, but that enthusiastic parent is NOT ME.  I do not want school to start.  I’m not looking forward to the hectic schedule and the madness to begin.  I’m not looking forward to working on homework each night with at least 3 of our children, the science projects, the reading & reading & reading…the math problems...the signing of planners...the ironing of uniforms....the report cards.  I like it SO MUCH better when our kids can be kids and we can just enjoy one another!  Selfishly I just want my kids around me and not off at school with structure and a set routine.  Thankfully, the majority of our kids ARE looking forward to school, so maybe I can feed off their enthusiasm?????? 
 
Last night was Parent Open House and I walked away with “information overload,” but we made it through to each of the classrooms.  Our kids are in 3 different classes with at least 6 different teachers, all with different rules, schedules and preferences.  I will have to let the information digest for a little while.  Thank goodness for handouts and that the teachers are just a quick email away if I forget something.   

I can’t believe Katie is going into 7th grade.  Kylie will be in 5th grade.  Haley will be in 3rd grade.  Katie was quite excited about being able to choose electives and being able see her good friends every day at school.  Haley is excited about her teacher and friends.  Miss Kylie is a little more reserved about the whole idea.  She very much enjoyed homeschooling, so it will take her a little bit to get on board about being back in the traditional classroom setting.

Even though I hate the idea of school starting and the craziness of it all, I am thankful for a great Academy that our kids can attend and teachers who love and pray for our children.  In the meantime, I hope to enjoy the last 2 days home with my kids around me, and we are praying for sunshine!  I’m mourning the end of summer vacation already!!!! L Summer was SO MUCH FUN!!

 


Haley swimming with the turtle in the pool
Bella the hunter....ha!  She wouldn't hurt a fly!  She just want to PLAY with the turtle
Sniff, Sniff, Sniff
Kylie's dive
Katie was so excited that I took her to AC Moore for a 3 for $10 duct tape sale.
She spent her OWN MONEY, yet because I drove her, I was the coolest mom ever. ;)
Katie made this purse out of pop tabs and yarn...it took her 6 hours
Katie decorated her school supplies with duct tape, made wallets and jewelry.
Crafts is her favorite thing to do during summer vacation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment