Monday, August 19, 2013

Randomness about Food

Over the last few months I have been slowly (or rather quickly) moving our family to organic foods and home made foods.  We have cut back almost entirely on eating out at restaurants.  I've been baking the kids cookies, muffins and sweet breads so they are not eating processed "Little Debbie" snacks in their lunches or eating at fast food "restaurants." The kids say home made baked items are WAY better than store bought and it is so much cheaper.   
 
I've been doing a lot of reading on all the contaminants in our food and water supply.  A few of my friends have been teaching me various things regarding this better option of cooking and baking, so it has helped me out A LOT in moving in the right direction. One of my newest friends has a whole lot more kids than I do, and if she can cook organic & all home made on a budget, I certainly should be able to on our limited budget!!
 
 It is just amazing to me what the FDA approves to be used in our food sources here in America.  Many things we consume are banned in the rest of the countries across the world.  It is no wonder that there are so many diseases in America that are not as common in the rest of the world.  There are increasing thyroid conditions, food allergies, cancers, obesity, diabetes, heart diseases, gastric intestinal disturbances, head aches, depression and so much more.  A lot of these sicknesses can be directly related to the foods we are consuming which are full of toxins and chemicals along with our water supply. Garbage in=Garbage out!!
 
I'm facing quite a bit of resistance from my (picky) family.  Change is never easy.  However, since I am the main grocery shopper and "head chef," my family has been eating so much better whether or not they like it.  Sometime around January I began purchasing a lot more fruits and vegetables.  Currently we have moved to about 75% organic in our home.  I figure that is a really good start for only beginning two months ago.  I didn't know until I actually began converting just how easy it is to convert my family to a healthier diet.  I have realized we truly are SO blessed in America with bountiful choices...it is just a matter of using discernment to eat wisely.
 
 


Organic, free roaming chickens...cooked with organic balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, minced onion, extra
virgin olive oil, parsley....SO yummy!
Homemade organic chicken noodle soup...the food critics (kids) said it tasted good.  It just
needed more "liquidy stuff." 
Roasted Tomatoes....Olive oil, organic balsamic vinegar, garlic cloves, sugar, sea salt,
ground black pepper, then I sprinkled it at the end with organic mozzarella cheese.
No, this is not a coffee maker....It's a water purifier
This is a look inside the water purifier.

 
Tonight I was preparing this...
The 4 kids were standing around it and examining it...Katie: Are those carrots? Kylie: No, they're sweet peas, wait, sweet tomatoes, pink pickles???? Andrew: They smell good. I like this. Haley: I think they're SWEET POTATOES.....I definitely have failed to expose my children to more food categories! (BTW, who has seen pink pickles before?) Correct answer: Sweet potatoes (with organic olive oil, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger & sea salt).
A friend posted this recipe on Facebook.
I bought organic vanilla ice cream from Harris Teeter and made
this chocolate sauce to put over it.  The only variation I made was
I used agave nectar instead of the raw honey.  The kids LOVED this treat.
Don't tell the kids they're organic (all except the M&M's) 
Haley & I baked these cookies together yesterday afternoon.  
When we finished she hands me a cookie and says,
"Here, I think you should eat this one because it's perfect and
you are the perfect mother so it fits you." I.LOVE.HER!!


1 comment:

  1. We are doing the same thing! We are going gluten free along with organic. Like you said, so many things are genetically altered and chemically modified that its literally killing us. We all feel better and nobody has been sick since we started (don't know if this is a coincidence, but its good). It was rough with the kids at the beginning (they were NOT happy), but now it's getting normal for them and its worth the extra work! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete