Monday, July 29, 2013

Wrapping Up Summer Vacation

We are wrapping up summer vacation around here.  It hardly seems possible school starts in about 2 weeks.  I feel bad for the kids because some of their summer plans were cancelled because of all the rain we had.  I am not complaining from my cheap, accountant mindset (I'm thinking FREE irrigation and a nice, green lawn all summer!)

On Friday we had a fun time with some new friends that moved to the area.  God always knows just who you need and when you need them.  They are also a fellow adoptive family so they truly "get" what all the changes are and struggles we all have as adoptive families.  Our kids got along real well together and had a blast. 

Our girls found a turtle down the street a few weeks ago and he's still living in our back yard.  He enjoys swimming in our pool.  Haley enjoys swimming with the turtle in the pool.  It's like we have our own aquarium. 

Miss Haley helped me mop my kitchen floor Friday morning. I never turn down good help!!  A few weeks ago I bought the new mop and bucket and Haley says, "No offense, Mom, but you look like a maid with that mop and bucket." I had to laugh.  She's such a goof.  She wasn't degrading maids.  I am always saying, "Pick up such and such.  I'm not your maid." And she added, "No offense" to the beginning of her sentence because she didn't want to sound disrespectful, but maids do carry around mops and buckets.

This past weekend we went back-to-school shopping.  Last year I was overwhelmed by the kids "ganging up" on me 3 against 1 when I took them shopping alone.  I usually cave when they ask for the more expensive things they really, really want (I will make a wonderful grandmother because I will spoil my grandbabies rotten...and it's a good thing none of my children are only children because they'd be ROTTEN).  We really cannot afford that this year, so I brought along Dad.  He has no problem telling them no to anything.  I read off the list, Tim found the cheapest item and the kids just watched in awe at how well the system worked....I'm sure secretly they were wishing it was just Mom taking them shopping so they could get the cooler items they wanted. ;)

Let me just tell you it is NOT CHEAP sending your kids to Christian school.  We have to pay tuition, books, registration fees, school supplies and very specific and hard-to-find uniforms.  Our pockets hurt since for whatever reason our kids keep out growing their clothing at a ridiculously fast rate! 

I am very apprehensive about this upcoming school year.   I dread working for hours on homework each night with the kids.  I really wish they'd just get all their work done during the school day.  I'm hoping for no drama as Kylie starts back 5th grade in traditional school (instead of home schooling).  That'll be a bit of a transition for her.  We are hoping for a really good year though.  I keep repeating, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

Please continue to pray for our family.  We have a few things on our heart we continue to need our prayer warrior friends to pray for.  As God answers, I'll be sure to post on this blog the answered prayers.  Thanks so much!

"No offense, Haley, but YOU look like a maid with that mop and bucket."

Hardly looks like $320 worth of school supplies, but it was...and every
item was on sale...Thankful God provided a reimbursement to Tim just in time
for back-to-school shopping!

The turtle and some of the kids




Lots of little swimmers; so thankful for sunshine FINALLY

Kylie and her friend...so much fun


1 comment:

  1. Continuing to pray for your family. We just started back home school today. It is hard to believe that summer break is already over. I'm glad you all have had a good summer. May the Lord continue to pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete