Friday, August 5, 2011

Grandfather Mountain


Today we hiked Grandfather Mountain.  It was an absolute blast!!  I recall last year’s trip to the mountains and looking from the top of the mountain across hundreds of miles of mountains and valleys. I remember how blown away I was by the beauty of God’s creation.  I meditated upon the verse in 1 Corinthians 2:9 that says No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.  I thought to myself that I cannot imagine anything more beautiful that this view!  And yet He promises Heaven is greater than that!

Today would have been even more fun if it was not foggy all day.  Yet, those same breathtaking mountains and valleys were there even though they were masked by the fog.  We were in the midst of the beauty, but we could not see it.   This idea made me think more about God.  While we might not physically see His face or audibly hear His voice, we can always be assured that He is present -- and actively revealing Himself to us.  God is active in our lives and manifests Himself to us through other things—through Creation, through unusual circumstances and through His people.

A few weeks ago we watched 6 little bird eggs hatch and the babies quickly grew and left the nest.  In 100+ degree temperatures the mother sat on the nest to shelter the babies from the heat.  God designed that mother bird in such a way that she could nurture and protect those babies.  Likewise, He fashioned every detail of the beauty in the mountains.  Even fallen trees serve a purpose in preserving and maintaining the life within the forest.  I am assured God is real when I see Him work out the trickiest situations such as the adoption of our son.  I saw His provision a few years ago, when I followed His prompting to check on a common “thump” during my 2-year-old’s “nap time.” I was able to rescue her from suffocating when she had pulled a dresser down on herself.  I can see Him every time I look into my children’s laughing eyes, when prayers are answered  by miracles and when fellow Christians write and say to me, “I’m not sure why, but God laid it on my heart to pray for you today” and it was exactly a time when I needed prayer most.

May I just say that usually when I think about God, I am blown away by Him?

What about you?  Have you seen Him lately?  I’d love to hear how He’s worked in your life.  He promises that if we search for Him, we’ll find Him. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't begin to tell you the way he has worked in our lives. Chet was in a car accident and we are down to one car, and I was freaking out. But, God knew we needed that money for trips we would be making to UNC and Duke. Also, I didn't want to send Christian to school and asked God to make it VERY clear what we should do. My exact prayer was, "God, I am not ok with sending him because I dont' feel there is anywhere that is willing to take care of his spiritual, and physical needs while also schooling him. Plus, Lord, we don't have the money. If you want him to go please make it obvious that the money came from you, and give me peace about his health."
    VERY NEXT DAY we got a call from where we were paying payments on our van. We were 5 grand into a 20 thousand dollar debt, and the person we owed called to tell us we could have it for what we have already paid and that they were signing the title over. HELLO THAT WAS GOD!!
    BUT what about a school?? We looked and prayed and met with Village and over a 2 month period all my fears have come to an end. Christian is so happy there and his teachers and school nurse could not possibly take better care of him or be more willing to go above and beyond!!! GOD! GOD! GOD!!!

    ReplyDelete