Tuesday, February 21, 2012

He Buy House?

Today as I crossed Raeford and Brighton Roads we passed the young 30-year-old, homeless guy that usually stands there.  Instantly I remembered a conversation I had with my son.

Brandon commented one day, “Why he always stand there? He have brown sign.”  I explained that the sign says he has no house and that he needs money.

Brandon asked, “Why he have no house?  He young man.  He not work?”  “I don’t know, Son” was my reply.

Day after day we’d pass this guy.  The girls would stare, often commenting how embarrassing it must be to stand there in front of all the people.  I’d look forward waiting for the light to turn green.  Brandon always smiled his sweet smile at this man.  This man smiled back at Brandon.

One day Brandon said, “I have a lot of money.  I give it to him, Mama?” 

Me: “No, Son.  You worked hard for that money.  You keep it for your airplane you want to buy.” 

Brandon:  “Why Mama?  He need food.  He buy cheeseburger.” (Burger King is right beside that curb).

Me: “Because we do not know if he will buy food or cigarettes or beer.”

Brandon: “Well maybe I give it to him he buy house.”

Such love and compassion my son had!  He had more than I have ever had.  Brandon always had such a kind and generous heart.  He would willingly give you anything and everything he had if you asked…and sometimes you didn’t even have to ask.  He would just offer it to you. 

Anyway,  I wish I’d let my son give this man his $22.  It’s still in his wallet untouched.  Really makes me think….I may just stop by and give this man this money. 

I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Matthew 25:45


13 comments:

  1. Perhaps you and Tim could go together to give him the money and share Brandon's story. You never know what kind of impact it will have, but likely far more than the $22 in itself ever could.

    "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.” ~Jesus (John 3:8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our children see the world with those perfect, beautiful hearts that God gave them and not through the skeptical eyes that our experiences have given us. How amazing is that? My daughter once rolled her window down and offered a man with a sign her last 2 chicken strips and fruit from Chic-Fil-A and he graciously accepted them. I was so touched that we drove to the nearest gas station and bought him some bags of trail mix and other food that he could have in his backpack. Perhaps that this is on your mind is a sign that he would want you to take that $22 and do something good with it. If that man is still around, you could share your son's story with him and let him know that your son wanted to help him. Sometimes knowing that one random person cared is all the new beginning a person needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish everyone had a heart like that. There would be no one homeless, or hungry, or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think you should. What a kind gesture! I know we are to be good stewards of our money (not to just throw it away), but it isn't necessarily up to us what the recipients do with the kindness we show them. The fact is you gave to someone who was in need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog from someone who posted a link on Facebook. God bless you as you work through the loss of your son. He seems like a precious, wonderful boy who loved others. I wanted you to know that we have prayed for you tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with chokmah. As a family, with some pictures, go share your story. It could be the beginning of a beautiful, life-long ministry. Indeed, the Spirit blows where He will...

    Blessings, dear friend.

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kerr Family,
    I learned of your son's death because of another family's loss... the missionary couple in the auto accident in NC. Reading about both situations brought fresh tears to my eyes because I have a son in Heaven, too.
    As I prayed for your family tonight, for God to comfort & strengthen you, I was also able to praise Him for what He has already done, and for what He's about to do THROUGH you and FOR you BECAUSE of this!
    Even though at times I feared my heart might literally break in two, if I hadn't experienced the great loss, I never would have experienced the great joy that can only come from HIM!
    Thank you for letting others see Christ THROUGH you! He is real, and we can trust Him with EVERYTHING!

    DK in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet story. Perhaps you could take him to Burger King on the corner and share your story with him. Your son would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your son's amazing heart, and wish other people had what he had. I think your idea of bringing the money to the man is an amazing idea- and especially think sharing his story would do a huge amount of good. Blessings to you. We hold you in our prayers each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God is in the business of redemption....praying the story of your loss can bring life to this man- as God works to redeem. Praying for you and for wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My family is still pretty new to Berean, but your son's life has been an inspiration for us-- such an amazing spirit and heart! Thank you for sharing your life with us. Your strength and love for our Lord should be something that all Christians are seeking daily.

    ReplyDelete