Thursday, May 2, 2013

UPSIDEDOWN


The Bible says, “Woe unto them that call EVIL good and, GOOD evil; that put darkness for light and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!  Woe unto them who are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight” (Isaiah 5:20-21).

 

A few weeks ago I went out early in the morning on a Saturday to get groceries for the family to beat the crowds.  On my way home I came across an UPSIDEDOWN car on the side of the road.  Being the law abiding citizen that I hope to be, I pulled over and asked if everyone was out of the car, if 911 had been called, if everyone was okay, and offered them something to drink while they waited for the paramedics to arrive.  There was a woman with a newborn baby, a man and an elderly woman.  Upon asking them if they wanted something to drink the woman laughed in a mocking tone of voice, turning to the elderly woman and said, “This FOOL is axe-ing if we want some water!  Ain’t she think we got bigger problems? Ha ha..You are a fool.” They both laughed at me.  At this point there were other cars around, so I said, “Okay, I hope your day gets better” and drove off.  I am really glad I had the restraint to NOT say what I was thinking which was, “YOU are calling ME a fool for offering you water?  I’m not the FOOL who has my car upside down on a clear day with no ice on the roads.” I’m so thankful that I had enough sense to recall the Scripture that says, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”  How is it that our society is so turned upside down that person offering water to someone in distress is a FOOL? 

 

The closer that we get to Christ’s return, the more we see EVIL being called GOOD and GOOD being called EVIL.  We see it all the time where Christians are told to keep their faith to themselves while people living a gay lifestyle are supposed to be bold and proud of who they are.  Good, solid parents are criticized for disciplining their children, while parents who allow their children to rule the roost are called good.  Planned Parenthood murderers are praised for “saving lives” while innocent babies are slaughtered every 9 seconds.  Funding for military is cut, while funding for welfare benefits and funding for Muslim countries are increased.  Everything is UPSIDEDOWN!!!

 

It really can be disheartening to see the downward spiral upon which our country is descending.  It seems people’s rights are more important than doing right as it lines up to God’s Word.   I try not to watch too much of the news or television because it can be really overwhelming.  It’s hard enough for me to do right and teach my children to do right in this crazy-world!  It is encouraging though to think about heaven and all that is waiting for us there.  It is nice to know that all of this garbage we are enduring now will not go on forever and we won’t even remember these troubles when we are in eternal glory!  I am excited for that, but I am praying for all my family and friends who have not yet received Christ.  I want all of my family and friends to be in Heaven.  I love them all so dearly.

 

Just like those ladies called me a fool for offering them water, many people think I am a fool for talking about “living water,” which the Bible calls salvation.  In John 4:14.  Jesus says, “Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” I pray daily that eyes will be opened to the truth of the Gospel.  Thinking life is about this earth and politics and money is UPSIDEDOWN.  Life is about the life we will live beyond this earthly life! 

 On this National Day of Prayer, let's remember to pray for our president, our country, our families, our pastors, our teachers, the orphans all over the world and for the unsaved all over the world.

   For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:17&18).

 

2 comments:

  1. AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!! i cannot tell you how desperately i needed to read this today! the past few days, God has truly burdened my heart to pray for this world, this nation in particular, as it is spiraling into a moral decay which can ONLY be stopped & reversed by the Lord. it is truly breaking my heart, and sometimes i feel so very alone in these convictions i have! sometimes it is so easy to think, "well, i don't support gay marriage, but maybe in a country where we're all equal, it should be legal." or "well, illegal immigrants are breaking the law & abusing our system to get benefits that hardworking americans are denied, but maybe they need help so it's okay." or "fill in the blank." when the world is screaming that you are wrong, and the devil has very convincing arguments to support those claims, it can be extremely difficult to hold your ground! we are living in a day & age that reminds me very much of the world Christ walked this earth in... so very hostile to Him, proclaiming His followers fools and haters of God. i fear that unless God steps in, things will only get worse until His return. and believe me, i ask Him every day that, as soon as the last person who will accept Him has done so, He would please take us HOME! not too long ago, actually after reflecting on the series "The Bible" shown on tv before/during Easter, i had a revelation. the ONLY POINT of being in this world is so that as many of us as possible can be with God for eternity. this world exists to prepare us for the next one. nothing else in this world matters. our sole purpose as Believers is to make sure that as many people as possible know about Jesus Christ. i've known that in the sense that i've heard it, but it didn't really sink in until then. it COMPLETELY rocked my world, and i can't see anything the way i did just a few months ago. kind of like how you can read a Bible verse hundreds of times, hear it quoted, but God uses it in one particular instance and it takes on a whole new meaning to you.

    anyway, thank you so much for writing this today! God has used it to renew my determination to hold firm in my beliefs & determination not to back down in society!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right on this one. Things are so upside down. The ingratitude you spoke of is also incredible. My husband is a firefighter/medical responder. He sees both sides of it. It is also so sad that people think they are "OWED" so much. We are not owed anything. It is our job to make this world a better place. Thank you for your blog. May the Lord continue to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete