Monday, June 3, 2013

My Daddy Loves Me!

When the girls were littler and we just moved to this home, we purchased our kitchen table and it worked out perfectly for a while.  Then once we added our boys to our family, we realized just how crowded it felt around the table, especially in the small kitchen nook our home has.  We had 6 bulky chairs around the table and it always looked messy.  A few weeks ago I was at a Pottery Barn store and saw some benches that could replace the 4 chairs on the sides.  I fell in love with the benches and realized we could easily add a few more kids on either side of the table if we had benches instead of the bulky chairs.  As most parents know, when you have 4 kids, you rarely only have 4 kids in your home.  They MULTIPLY and we needed more seats than just 6. Benches were a great idea in my mind, but the only problem was that the benches at Pottery Barn did not fit our table...and they were very expensive.

I described to my dad what they looked like and how perfect they would be in our tiny nook.  Well, my dad said he'd "see what he could come up with."  He whipped a couple of benches up over the weekend and they are absolutely perfect.  He read my mind precisely.  I love them.  They take up a lot less space than all those chairs and they look a whole lot neater.  It's easier to sweep and mop under benches than it is with chairs and all the legs on the chairs.

Anyway, I am so excited.  I love my benches.   My daddy loves me!  Thanks, Dad.

Unfinished benches in Dad's garage

Solid oak in dad's workshop

First coat of stain
Our nook when we first moved in the house....all 6 chairs

Finished!

I love them!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful! How amazing that your dad did it for you. I always remember watching the Waltons. They had benches. They had so many people in their family and always extra people over for meals all the time. May the Lord continue to bless your family.

    ReplyDelete